He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’ So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9b-10 (NRSV)

I don't know about you, but I am overwhelmed by all the news and images coming from the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan. My husband and mother-in-law keep up with the news, but I'm having trouble taking it all in and wrapping my head and heart around it. The images of mothers holding their dead children especially drive a knife through my heart having just recently had my first child. The thought that I cannot completely control what happens to her or what harm may come her way is frightening. Combine that with various other things going on in my life right now, I feel helpless. Yet, it is at that very moment of utter helplessness that I am tied most closely to Christ. I realize that without Him, I can do nothing. In my weakness, I have to rely on Him. It is only through the Holy Spirit that I am given what I need to be strengthened and do what little I can to be hope for the helpless, even if that helpless one is me.
0 Responses

Post a Comment